Friday, August 3, 2012

People Really Eat That?! (18 Weeks)





How far along? 18 weeks 
Baby size: A Sweet Potato! Averaging 5.5 inches and nearly 7 ounces.
Total weight gain/loss: I think close to 5lbs
Maternity clothes?Maternity tops and comfy (stretchy) bottoms
Stretch marks? Nope
Sleep: Sleeping better this week...crazy dreams
Best moment this week: Our Family was visiting this week and we went on lots of fun adventures to the zoo and The Great Wolf Lodge. It was nice to have a little vacation and spend time with family.

Miss Anything? Being able to ride rides!
Movement: Definitely moving!

Food cravings: Pancakes, YUM!
Anything making you queasy or sick: overeating, blagh!
Have you started to show yet: This week I had my first stranger gesture to my bump :-)
Gender Prediction: I guess I have to commit since we find out soon... I will go with girl even thought I flip flop
Symptoms: New to this week....lets just say its good to know that I can feed our baby :P
Belly Button in or out? In
Wedding rings on or off? off... hoping to wear it more next week!
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy! No meltdowns or tears (except tears of worship in Church)
Looking forward to: My mom and sister are coming to visit on Tuesday and we have our Gender Reveal on Thursday Sooo exciting!!


The Magical Wonders of Placentas
So this past Bradley class I learned that our instructor also encapsulates placentas. What is that, you might ask...I did!  We got a really neat lesson on all the wonders of the placenta. Its actually pretty fascinating! Similar to breast milk, the placenta is chock full of vitamins and nutrients tailored to mom (and baby)'s body. All other mammals consume their placenta after giving birth to get back all the nutrients that they have lost and in many other cultures they eat the placenta, it's just seems a little weird in America. It is also a natural way to stop a hemorrhage after delivery. It only takes a piece the size of a dime to do the job of pitocin and you avoid the harmful side effects. There are tons of other benefits of the placenta including postpartum depression prevention, and energy booster. It sounds great right? If you can get your mind around consuming a human organ sure! Now I can't imagine frying up my placenta like a steak (yes people really do that) or even blending it into a smoothie, but taking a vitamin...I can do that! So what our instructor does is she dehydrates the placenta and seasons it with natural herbs then grinds it and encapsulates it into perfect prenatal/postnatal vitamins tailored specifically for Mom's needs. I am not completely sold on the idea, but it's definitely something worth considering.... and it makes perfect sense with my new found love for all things natural!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds gross. Just sayin. :) It makes perfect sense, and I totally believe people do that. (Honestly, what ISN'T gross about childbirth? Just the baby, I think, and even IT is pretty slimy at first!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this....I didn't eat mine or encapsulate it, but if you want to...I say go for it! I would not be grossed out if you told me you ate it or swallowed it. I actually saw on a website that one lady mixed a small part of her placenta into hamburger meat and cooked it all up and ate it with tacos. I bet you could find tons of recipes!!! :D Glad to hear things are going well!!!

    ReplyDelete